Poplar Grove Apartments
473 1st Avenue W, Unity Sask
This exceptional opportunity was located at 473 1st avenue west in Unity, Saskatchewan. Unity is located south east of Lloydminster Alberta, a town of roughly 2500 people in a strong agricuture and oil and gas sector of the province. The building was in very rough shape and had a rent roll of only $4000/month and in 3 years we substantially renovated and sold the project with a rent roll of over $7000 per month 36 months later. We spent about $125,000 in upgrades including a new pitched roof, and common area carpets and paint, and most of the suites getting complete renovations.
Sold for: $567,500 Feb 2011
Purchased Feb 2008 for $350,000
Cash invested $92,000
Value increase over 62% in 3 years
What was exceptional about this deal:
- low purchase price of $29,000/unit given good rental upside and low vacancies.
- 11 extra large 2 bedroom units, plus one bachelor suite.
- Rent control laws in Saskatchewan at the time allowed for rent increases every 3 months, allowing us to bring rents and value up very quickly.
- Everything was done locally, local bank for financing, local contractors and building materials creating a win/win scenario for all parties involved.
- Refinanced the project in 2009 with a new $404K mortgage, paying out first mortgage and the majority of the renovation costs.
- Sold the project to another investor to move on to bigger projects.
Question about the project?
Please fill out this quick form if you have any questions regarding the business or the project!